Saturday, August 1, 2009

Ouch!

Just wanted to share my latest "Emily moment", aka episode of accident-prone-ness.

As I said in my last post, I went rollerblading yesterday. After getting warming up around my neighborhood I decided to try the bike path -- a good idea since there would be no cars and very few intersections, all nicely paved. Well, I came across a Y in the road, and both said that there was a downhill. I went right, and decided that I would just prepare for a short jaunt downhill and just really try to keep my balance as I sped up.

Well.... turns out they haven't finished the paving on that section of the bike trail, and at the bottom of the little hill, hidden around the corner the paved path turned into a rock path. There was no way I could stop, and there was no soft grass to skate into, so I just squatted down as close to the ground as I could while staying upright, and prepared for the worst. I made it about 5 feet before I crashed onto my hands, knees, and hip. NOT COOL. I had to sit there for a little while just holding myself before I could stand up and head home. Every once in a while I had to wipe the drips of blood from my knee to keep it from going into my skates. It was pretty funny watching the people in cars stare at me in horror as they drove by me, though.

I didn't really feel the pain until I got home and had to clean the scrapes out. I'm still pulling little tiny rocks out of my hands and knees every time I change my bandages. Luckily I didn't do worse than I did, though I'm sure I'll have some major bruises on my left knee. What I'm really bummed about is the fact that I'm not going to be able to go canoeing tomorrow with the girls. I was really looking forward to getting out in the water, but since now I can barely take a shower, it's probably not in my best interest. On the plus side (if there is a plus side), I'm pretty sure I'll be a first aid expert by the time this is all over with.

So please send some "get well" vibes my way, and maybe next weekend I'll have a better story to tell (that doesn't involve blood).

3 comments:

Linda said...

OOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! I'm so sorry you are hurting!!!!! Take it easy and I'm sending healing thoughts your way!

Love, Mom

Al Milner said...

Hey GF, I love the pic's and the great video of the bike race. Keep sending them. I hope I dont see anymore blogs about injuries, you know what they say "drs make the worst patients". u dont want to be treating yourself.

Watch out for the bears, mooses etc, They r a lot bigger than u. Stay safe and remember that we love ya here in MO. Go Cards!!!

That's MY camera! said...

I have to say that I laughed out loud when I read this entry - because it definitely captures that 'Oh sh*t' moment that we've all experienced the instant before everything goes wrong. Nice bandage work though :-)