Saturday, December 26, 2009

Mountain-top islands

Man, I could really get used to this skiing every day thing. Having a 3 day weekend for 2 weeks in a row is going to spoil the heck out of me!


Today and yesterday I spent a few hours up the mountain putting in some runs. I must say, I've already seen a pretty significant improvement in my skiing ability, even if it's just a result of being more comfortable with the runs after going down them a few times. But the stuff that I would have turned a timid eye to before is looking more appetizing now. Pretty cool stuff! And I'm glad I invested in a helmet cause I'm gonna need it with the sort of skiing I'm starting to explore (you all know how clumsy I can be, and we don't need me to go bonking my noggin on any tree trunks...)

Yesterday and today I got to see what an inversion is. If you're not familiar, it's when the clouds are low and it's clear at the top of the mountain. It's pretty crazy because in town it looks completely socked in, but you get to the top and it's clear as a bell, sunny, and you can see for miles. The clouds below look like an ocean, and only the peaks of other mountains are visible, so they look like islands. Really neat to see in person, but I'll give you a peek at what it looked like yesterday and today.

1 comment:

Mike Smith said...

80 inch base? 11 inches in the last 24 hours?! Needless to say I can't wait to get there and do some skiing! Keep that powder coming for me!