Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Arts and crafts

Living in Litchfield can get kind of boring sometimes (sorry, it's true...). So one of the things that my mom and I decided to try to pass a bit of time was batiking. Batik is where you paint or drip wax onto fabric, then dye the fabric and remove the wax so that the original color shows where the wax was. Mom had done some batik years ago and still had the tools, so we gave it a shot.

We had eaten brunch at my favorite breakfast spot in St. Louis,
Café Osage, and came across some batik cloth napkins in their garden shop. This got my mom thinking about getting out her stuff and making some of our own, for a lot less $$ than these expensive sets. So we set off to work some magic with fabric, and 2 grueling days later had some pretty great products. Turns out painting the wax on is a heck of a lot more fun and easy than getting a bunch of wax out of the fabric.... but we're both pretty proud of our results.

Zoje, as always, was a great help...

My finished product:

Mom's handiwork:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always, great taste in style and color.... I love it!