Friday, June 26, 2009

Training

I spent the morning in a canoe on Lake Springfield today!

Borrowed from jeanne.lopez on flickr

Mike and I rented a boat from the Marina and paddled our way around a small portion of the lake for a few miles. I wanted to practice a little before I participate in the Glacier Challenge in Whitefish -- the weekend that I get into town. I'm doing the 8-mile canoe leg with another person. Luckily for me, the team I'll be on (made up of coworkers from the SPORT Center) is not out to win the whole thing, but more to have a good time. I'm not really into the whole competition thing most of the time, so I'm glad there's no pressure on me. But I'm really looking forward to it! I don't know the last time I was in a race... I've organized them, but haven't really been a contestant. And I believe the last time I paddled a canoe was about 5 or 6 years ago on a float trip, so there wasn't much paddling involved -- more like just letting the water take us wherever it wanted while we sunbathed and had a beer. So I definitely need to get my arms, back, and abs into gear. Hopefully I won't be too sore over the next couple of days, and I'm sure we'll be back for more practice - maybe with Mom this time. I don't want my first public appearance as a Whitefish resident to be a flop!

No comments: